What stops me from switching to qBittorrent

Discuss suggestions and ideas for the forums, site, software.
Matrix Leader

What stops me from switching to qBittorrent

Post by Matrix Leader »

I still use the old uTorrent v2 since v3 has become bloated and more of a commercial product.

I know I may not get the best download speeds with the old uTorrent but I stick to it as I love its interface so much I am unable to adapt to any other Torrent clients.

I have tried qBittorrent about 3 times in the past before but everytime I find myself uninstalling it and going back to uTorrent :(

I want to use qBittorrent for good  but I wish some changes to the interface could be done.

In the website, it says that qBittorrent has as simplistic design like uTorrent but it's far away from that IMHO

The quirks that I remember :

1) you cannot right click on a a file that is currently downloading and limit the bandwidth of download/upload like you can in uTorrent

2) In Firefox or Pale Moon, if I click on a torrent file, I can choose to make that the default action so that it would automatically launch my default torrent client the moment I click on a torrent link without the need to click on OK everytime, when I installed Pale Moon, the option to always do that option by default is always greyed out so everytime I click on a torrent link, qBittorrent doesn't automatically start until I click on the OK button again. I don't know who's fault is it but I would love to have it work the same way it does with uTorrent

3) I don't understand the difference between upload speed and global upload speed and why on earth is the global upload speed limited to 10KB/S for both the download and upload this is very confusing to new people like meh

4) I'm not even sure if qBittorent is able to handle magnet links because when I clicked on this magnet link, nothing happened:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:781F5933F4A0A4519135B08BB597C41A8F3A74DE&dn=Microsoft%20Toolkit%202.4.9%20Official%20Torrent&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.istole.it%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80%2fannounce

5) After posting about point 4, I tried to click on a torrent link, then looked at the qBittorrent Window, it was empty as if nothing happened. I don't know if it is compatible with Windows 8.1 but I doubt that it shouldn't since even the 2 year old uTorrent v2 still works for me on Windows 8.1

6) I just also realized that qBittorrent is not even appearing in the Default Programs in Windows 8.1 so there's no way to set it as the default program

7) I love how in uTorrent you can simply double click on a completed download to open the downloaded folder and I wish qBittorrent can do the same :(
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What stops me from switching to qBittorrent

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Matrix Leader wrote: The quirks that I remember :

1) you cannot right click on a a file that is currently downloading and limit the bandwidth of download/upload like you can in uTorrent
Yes you can. Right click->limit download rate... or Right click->limit upload rate...
2) In Firefox or Pale Moon, if I click on a torrent file, I can choose to make that the default action so that it would automatically launch my default torrent client the moment I click on a torrent link without the need to click on OK everytime, when I installed Pale Moon, the option to always do that option by default is always greyed out so everytime I click on a torrent link, qBittorrent doesn't automatically start until I click on the OK button again. I don't know who's fault is it but I would love to have it work the same way it does with uTorrent
I don't understand. Does the OK button belong to a browser window or to a qbt window? screenshot maybe?

3) I don't understand the difference between upload speed and global upload speed and why on earth is the global upload speed limited to 10KB/S for both the download and upload this is very confusing to new people like meh
Where do you find these options/settings?
4) I'm not even sure if qBittorent is able to handle magnet links because when I clicked on this magnet link, nothing happened:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:781F5933F4A0A4519135B08BB597C41A8F3A74DE&dn=Microsoft%20Toolkit%202.4.9%20Official%20Torrent&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.istole.it%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80%2fannounce
It works for me. File->Add link to torrent...
If you want to open it directly from your browser you should state your OS first.
5) After posting about point 4, I tried to click on a torrent link, then looked at the qBittorrent Window, it was empty as if nothing happened. I don't know if it is compatible with Windows 8.1 but I doubt that it shouldn't since even the 2 year old uTorrent v2 still works for me on Windows 8.1
Hmm, so you use Windows 8.1. I haven't tested on that. I develop on XP but it should work. You have 2 options:
1. Rerun the installer and make sure you run it with admin rights. And make sure you select "associate magnet links with qbt"
or
2. Launch qbt with admin rights, go to Tools->Options...->Behavior->File assocation and check the 2 boxes. Exit qbt and launch it again with normal rights. It should work now.
6) I just also realized that qBittorrent is not even appearing in the Default Programs in Windows 8.1 so there's no way to set it as the default program
I have no idea if they changed something in 8.1. Does qbt have an entry in the start menu?
7) I love how in uTorrent you can simply double click on a completed download to open the downloaded folder and I wish qBittorrent can do the same :(
Tools->Options...->Behavior->Action on double-click
ironcross

Post by ironcross »

[quote="Matrix Leader"]
[/quote]

Hello and welcome!
This is a browser side setting and not a qBT "problem". In Firefox or Pale Moon please go to Options - Applications; under "Content type" find "Torrent file" or "Magnet"; under "Action" choose your desired action (if qBT is not listed, click "Use other" and point your qBittorrent.exe where it's installed).
As i see most of your complains are not actual problems, but bad settings and insufficiently familiarization with qBT. qBT is similar to uTorrent as far as this is possible. However qBT is not uTorrent with another name and you can't expect to act exactly the same way. There are some differences, but as you can see we are ready to help you and the main developer himself answered in details on your questions.
Last edited by ironcross on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix Leader

Post by Matrix Leader »

Thank you both for the detailed answers to all my concerns!

With your posts above, I was able to figure out most of the quirks, uninstalling uTorrent solved my issue of qBittorrent not taking over downloads of magnet links :) and I have set the double click action as you instructed so now it's fine

Last 2 things:

1) what do global download / upload speeds mean and how do they differ from the normal download/upload speeds? that is very confusing:

2) In uTorrent, I read a tweak once to enable encryption so that the ISPs cannot limit your downloads or something like that, where do I find that setting in qBittorrent

Thank you
ironcross

Post by ironcross »

[quote="Matrix Leader"]
2) In uTorrent, I read a tweak once to enable encryption so that the ISPs cannot limit your downloads or something like that, where do I find that setting in qBittorrent
Thank you
[/quote]

Options - BitTorrent - there is a drop down menu for "Encryption mode".
Matrix Leader

Post by Matrix Leader »

thanks man, great job on this awesome spyware free client.

final thing awaiting someone to explain the global upload/download speeds as in the screenshot above
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

nvm, my description would just confuse anyone even more. sorry.
There is an alternative speed in Transmission (iirc) as well.
Basically it let's you have TWO speed limits.

As you can see on the screenshot, you can schedule this too, by using the bottom settings in that window.
What is it for?
Let's say you want to leave your PC seeding, with some limited speed for the day while you are away.
Then you have a scheduled speed for that, scheduled.

The normal limit is something the client will always keep/honor.
Last edited by Peter on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

You read them wrong check my screenshot. The second ones are "alternative" limits. They are activated either by enabling the scheduler or if you click on the icon shown in the second pic.

Matrix Leader

Post by Matrix Leader »

ohhhhhh ok, thanks guys!!