Possibility to "fake useragent"

Other platforms, generic questions.
LilleCarl

Possibility to "fake useragent"

Post by LilleCarl »

Never mind
Last edited by LilleCarl on Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loki

Re: Possibility to "fake useragent"

Post by loki »

I don't really understand what you're trying to describe the reason why there should be an option to allow such a feature...

But anyway, this sort of discussion seems to come up from time to time, on various open-source torrent client forums. In short, it's a very bad idea to have basically a "user-selectable" identity. It'll most likely get the client in question banned faster than any other option.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Well said loki I totally agree with you. The older versions had this kind of function to behave as an another client but they are getting banned almost instantly, especially at private trackers and are forbidden.
christophe.dumez

Post by christophe.dumez »

I cannot add this feature without getting into trouble with the private trackers that actually whitelist qBittorrent. The only solution is to kindly ask the private trackers admin to whitelist qBittorrent.
The truth is that there is no reason not too. Most of the time they just don't know about qBittorrent and haven't tried it. If they refuse, use another tracker :)

Such spoofing feature can harm the client reputation a lot and I won't do it (again :P).

If you feel that strongly about it, just fork qBittorrent (it is open source) and add this spoofing feature back. If you do so, please remove any reference to qBittorrent (change the name everywhere).
MasterCATZ

Post by MasterCATZ »

sooo missing spoofing

I believe it is possible to change the client tag via a proxy  service I am sure I saw something that did this a while back
loki

Post by loki »

So... we revisit this discussion again?

What you speak of, if it does exist, I believe is beyond the scope of the client anyway but... I suspect also a very good way to get yourself banned from a private tracker.

The question comes to my mind that I wonder about, why would someone feel it necessary to have such feature if they weren't planning something underhanded anyway?

There's much better ways to go about getting a particular torrent client allowed (if they use a whitelist-only method) on a private tracker and the methods being discussed here seem to go against that, potentially causing further speculation of a particular client being banned outright. My suggestion on the matter of anyone finding themselves on a private tracker that outright bans qBittorrent, and if they don't state a specific reason why yet still refuse to allow it, would be to find a new private tracker.