qBittorrent 2.8.4 **unofficial mingw build**

Windows specific questions, problems.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: qBittorrent 2.8.4 **unofficial mingw build**

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Here is a special built of 2.8.4 for testing with windows 7 64bit.

It uses boost 1.46.1 and libtorrent 0.15.5

link1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HXJJTTH3
link2: http://www.mediafire.com/?cx6ufhdwvy0qyq7
RMP13

Post by RMP13 »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
Here is a special built of 2.8.4 for testing with windows 7 64bit.

It uses boost 1.46.1 and libtorrent 0.15.5

link1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HXJJTTH3
link2: http://www.mediafire.com/?cx6ufhdwvy0qyq7
[/quote]
Windows Vista 64bit. It did not help!
ironcross

Post by ironcross »

Today i had an I/O error in 2.8.2 (i still use it) on Win 7 Pro SP1 x86. But... this torrent was an iso file and i was forgotten it mounted in Virtual CloneDrive :) After i unmounted it everything came back to normal.
What i mean is - are you sure, guys, that some of your torrents are not used by another program in the same time? Because this can be the source of the problem with some of the I/O errors. Just a suggestion.
Last edited by ironcross on Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Candoris

Post by Candoris »

seems like win7/vista 64 specific incompatibility, for other os'es clean install fixes all issues... someone gotta crack the root of the problem...
shank

Post by shank »

Yes, hopefully people aren't confusing this I/O error with a standard I/O error happening from a full disk or file in use in another program.

This problem has persisted in so many builds for so long, we seem to be running in circles with this error for the past two months and people are regurgitating false info or already tested variables.  Following the threads here and the bugtracker, it has already been established that:

1.) It started in the 2.8 releases.  The last 2.7.x release (2.7.3) does not have this problem.  So changes should be reviewed from 2.7.3 -> 2.8.
2.) It's predominantly a 64bit Windows environment issue.  All the reports of a test release working in 32bit are redundant.
3.) libtorrent is blamed constantly, but versions of qbittorrent compiled with libtorrent 0.17, 0.16, 0.15.7, 0.15.6 (and a new poster saying 0.15.5 also, but I'd like to see more feedback before saying 15.5 for sure) have been reported to still have this problem.

To finally settle the libtorrent accusations, I suggest testing a build with whatever version of libtorrent was compiled with the 2.7.3 release.  Also, has anyone considered it's an issue with the new builds being compiled in Mingw instead of the usual visual c++ compiles by mohammad dib?  I believe dib's visual c++ compiles were the Windows releases through 2.7.3 until the Mingw releases started around 2.8.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Thank you Shank for summing up the problem.

I believe that 2.8.1 was also build by mohammad dib. My only mingw build that got to the main site was 2.8.2.
Rastaman

Post by Rastaman »

[quote="ironcross"]
Today i had an I/O error in 2.8.2 (i still use it) on Win 7 Pro SP1 x86. But... this torrent was an iso file and i was forgotten it mounted in Virtual CloneDrive :) After i unmounted it everything came back to normal.
What i mean is - are you sure, guys, that some of your torrents are not used by another program in the same time? Because this can be the source of the problem with some of the I/O errors. Just a suggestion.
[/quote]

Not the case for me, but in your case that's just not good. If I download an .avi file for example and can't watch it and seed it at the same time well that's just ridiculous and makes me not want to use the client even if the x64 errors are fixed.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

I think ironcross means that while you are downloading for example an avi like you said Rastaman and you are trying to open this avi while downloading this can cause I/O errors. I/O errors can also be caused by too long filenames or bad sectors in your HDD (which isnt the case :) ). Offcourse you can seed while you are watching your avi but trying to watch it while its downloading or move it after done downloading and seeding can cause problems. You can preview it (for example with AviPreview) then it's all good. shank made nice points which should be re-checked to fix this problems around I/O, hopefully. The important one is the switch from 2.7.3 to 2.8 where the problems has started with 64bit machines.
Last edited by Nemo on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ironcross

Post by ironcross »

[quote="NeMo_0"]
Offcourse you can seed while you are watching your avi...
[/quote]
Yes, you can do it. But... if you start the movie first, then the QB - you will receive an I/O error :) If you start QB first, then the movie - it's OK, the movie goes on and the seed is normal.
msolace

Post by msolace »

Just tested all releases upto 2.8.4 All have i/o errors except 2.73.

Machine stats:
Win7 64bit
8gb ram
all tests using 3 known working torrents 1 type .iso, 1 set of zips, 1 .mkv
and yes clean install between each/plenty of hd space/not opening/running file during download etc, No hooking programs (Anydvd/VCD)

Hope this helps
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

What do you mean all releases? Do you mean 2.2.9 to 2.8.4?
loki

Post by loki »

Someone should mention this fact, in this thread... I've had I/O problems with any sledgehammer build. I'm on Windows 7 x64. I'm not saying I'm blaming him specifically but it might be something being done differently between the sledgehammer build and mohammad dib build. The difference between mingw and msvc has been brought up in the bugtracker, but also discounted as the reason, I really don't know if it could make a difference.

I'm almost ready to set up a msvc build environment of my own if we aren't going to have dib anymore... any news from him lately? Did he give up reigns to sledgehammer... because if this is the case, and the root cause of these I/O errors doesn't get figured out it seems us 64-bit users might be outta luck.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

@loki
Yeah I have been wondering the same thing about the different compilers used.

I don't know anything about dib's whereabouts. I have never talked to him. From what Dumez said to me, dib was really busy in the last months and cannot regularly maintain the windows build.

If you are experienced with building from source go ahead and use msvc. I will try to help you if you encounter any problems. This is a basic guide on how to compile qbt with msvc-> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/q ... le=Windows
majin5

Post by majin5 »

Hi everyone,

Thnx for the new build for qbittorrent release. Was waiting for this forever.

Ok to people having the I/O errors on Win 7 x64. Here might be the solution.

Firstly a clean install did help with no I/O errors popping up while loading torrents however this involved deleting everything including the files in the qbittorent folders in the Local and Roaming directories under Users/username/Appdata.

After this I basically copied back the contents of theses folders (had previously backed it up) but the I/O errors resurfaced. Finally narrowed it down to the "cache folder" in Users/username/Appdata/Local/qbittorent/ .

So to surmise uninstall 2.7.3. Delete the cache folder. Install 2.8.4 and you should be fine.

Note I'm using 2.8.4 compiled with libtorrent 0.15.7 under Win 7 x64.

Lastly like to report the stupid behaviour of qbittorrent of going on downloading previously downloaded torrents that had been removed or marked as read from RSS feeds seems to be fixed with this new ver.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

@loki and everyone else look at my post in the bug report http://bugs.launchpad.net/qbittorrent/+ ... omments/29

[quote="majin5"]
Hi everyone, [/quote]

Hello and welcome
[quote="majin5"]
Thnx for the new build for qbittorrent release. Was waiting for this forever.

Ok to people having the I/O errors on Win 7 x64. Here might be the solution.

Firstly a clean install did help with no I/O errors popping up while loading torrents however this involved deleting everything including the files in the qbittorent folders in the Local and Roaming directories under Users/username/Appdata.

After this I basically copied back the contents of theses folders (had previously backed it up) but the I/O errors resurfaced. Finally narrowed it down to the "cache folder" in Users/username/Appdata/Local/qbittorent/ .

So to surmise uninstall 2.7.3. Delete the cache folder. Install 2.8.4 and you should be fine. [/quote]

Are you sure? As I said on my bug comment above, I did a clean install of 2.8.4 on a clean machine with Windows 7 x64 and the problem manifested almost immediately after adding a torrent. Like you said if you do other things that don't involve writing torrent-data to disk the error doesn't appear. The error appears the moment there are enough data downloaded to be written on disk, thus the I/O.

[quote="majin5"]Note I'm using 2.8.4 compiled with libtorrent 0.15.7 under Win 7 x64.[/quote]
Did you build it? Which compiler did you use? Mingw or Msvc?

[quote="majin5"]Lastly like to report the stupid behaviour of qbittorrent of going on downloading previously downloaded torrents that had been removed or marked as read from RSS feeds seems to be fixed with this new ver.
[/quote]

Please report it to the bug tracker. As far as I know, the qbt developer rarely visits the forum.
Last edited by sledgehammer_999 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.