Windows tool for migration from Bittorrent/uTorrent/Deluge to qBittorrent

Windows specific questions, problems.
rumanzo
VIP
VIP

Re: Windows tool for migration from Bittorrent/uTorrent/Deluge to qBittorrent

Post by rumanzo »

huge wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:09 pm Is there something special I need to do with categories.json?
autocompletion of categories flag should be normal without your participation, you can see it path in help (bt2qbt.exe -h)
And run qBittorrent at least once before running bt2qbt
huge wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:09 pm I relabeled all my seeding torrents from LABEL to s-LABEL - that way I can do the force-recheck on the ones I want to seed again in QbT and make sure I don't mess anything up. Here we go ... 4700 torrents with files spread out over several hard drives and network shares! I'll report back on level of success...
Using labels for this purpose is a good idea actually! You can run bt2qbt as many times as you like, just remove artifacts. So you can replay transfer any time (append another label, etcetera).
I had similar number of torrents when I was migrating first time :-).
Btw, the number of disks can be less, or even one (except of system one) if you'll use big capacity drives such as 18Tb hdd. I have a couple, they are very good, quet and cool.

Anyway, good luck! Let me know how the process pass
huge

Post by huge »

rumanzo wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:26 pm
huge wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:09 pm Is there something special I need to do with categories.json?
autocompletion of categories flag should be normal without your participation, you can see it path in help (bt2qbt.exe -h)
And run qBittorrent at least once before running bt2qbt
huge wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:09 pm I relabeled all my seeding torrents from LABEL to s-LABEL - that way I can do the force-recheck on the ones I want to seed again in QbT and make sure I don't mess anything up. Here we go ... 4700 torrents with files spread out over several hard drives and network shares! I'll report back on level of success...
Using labels for this purpose is a good idea actually! You can run bt2qbt as many times as you like, just remove artifacts. So you can replay transfer any time (append another label, etcetera).
I had similar number of torrents when I was migrating first time :-).
Btw, the number of disks can be less, or even one (except of system one) if you'll use big capacity drives such as 18Tb hdd. I have a couple, they are very good, quet and cool.

Anyway, good luck! Let me know how the process pass
Migration completed (more or less) with pretty good results -

Out of 4697 torrents in uTorrent, I only got one "Can't decode torrent file" and three "Can't locate torrent file" errors - I'm surprised there weren't a lot more.

About 2000 of my torrents no longer have the torrent content files ... in uTorrent that's fine because the torrent is stopped and it never tries to check the content again. In QbT it checks the contents even though the torrent is "Paused" and either reports a "Missing Files" error or it reports 0% Downloaded and the status is "Paused". I don't know if there is a way to tell QbT that it should never try to check the contents. I would rather not have to delete those torrents because I want a record of whether I've downloaded something in the past.

The last problem I just discovered is that QbT does not have the capacity to relocate an individual file to a different folder from the rest of the torrent's files (pretty easy in uTorrent). This is a pretty serious problem for my video file collection, because torrent uploaders often don't organize their folders the way my Home Theater PC wants to have them. I can't really think of what to do about this other than to keep using uTorrent for those situations or to just have 2 copies of torrent contents, one for seeding and one for viewing. Both feel like poor solutions.

But none of those problems really have anything to do with your migration tool, which seems to have worked pretty close to flawlessly. Thanks for your work!
rumanzo
VIP
VIP

Post by rumanzo »

huge wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:16 pm Migration completed (more or less) with pretty good results -

Out of 4697 torrents in uTorrent, I only got one "Can't decode torrent file" and three "Can't locate torrent file" errors - I'm surprised there weren't a lot more.
Seems this torrent files lost or incompleted. And I think utorrent can't handle this torrents too, if you'll start them.
huge wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:16 pm I don't know if there is a way to tell QbT that it should never try to check the contents. I would rather not have to delete those torrents because I want a record of whether I've downloaded something in the past.
I don't know either, but you can uncheck deleted files. May be it will be a problem with lost parts of these torrents that you can't redownload.
huge wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:16 pm The last problem I just discovered is that QbT does not have the capacity to relocate an individual file to a different folder from the rest of the torrent's files (pretty easy in uTorrent). This is a pretty serious problem for my video file collection, because torrent uploaders often don't organize their folders the way my Home Theater PC wants to have them. I can't really think of what to do about this other than to keep using uTorrent for those situations or to just have 2 copies of torrent contents, one for seeding and one for viewing. Both feel like poor solutions.
You are right, qBittorrent don't have this ablitily, but libtorrent has. Bt2qbt can resolve this, you can see torrents that actually have moved files to different locations, and it works. I can advice some ugly options, like write some tool, or use symlinks manually. But you can create feach request issue in qBittorrent github repository, may be someone realize this.
huge wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:16 pm But none of those problems really have anything to do with your migration tool, which seems to have worked pretty close to flawlessly. Thanks for your work!
Great! If you have some problems that I can fix, I ask you to create issue on github
huge

Post by huge »

rumanzo wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:59 pm You are right, qBittorrent don't have this ablitily, but libtorrent has. Bt2qbt can resolve this, you can see torrents that actually have moved files to different locations, and it works. I can advice some ugly options, like write some tool, or use symlinks manually. But you can create feach request issue in qBittorrent github repository, may be someone realize this.
Thanks again for all your responses. When I saw your libtorrent reference I thought "oooh maybe I should just use that", but then looked it up and found that it's just the kernel/implementation underneath several clients. Other people have posted about using symlinks ... I may look into that in the future if I really need to seed those old torrents with files spread out in different places, but for now I'm just happy to be away from uTorrent.
icerob

Post by icerob »

Hi and thank you for your work! I used the tool and I was able to migrate, flawlessly in a way, to qbittorrent. The only issue I have is that, while all the torrents seem to be there and running, I can only actually see the torrents of a specific tracker. Uh, at least I used to. After I restarted the client, now I can only see three total torrents. The others disappeared.

It's weird. Any ideas how to fix this? I suspect it has nothing to do with your tool, though, but who knows.
Last edited by icerob on Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icerob

Post by icerob »

I figured it out! I didn't realize the filters on the left bar combined with each other with an AND.
rumanzo
VIP
VIP

Post by rumanzo »

icerob wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:17 pm I figured it out! I didn't realize the filters on the left bar combined with each other with an AND.
I glad that you handled it :-D
tunderrunz

Post by tunderrunz »

Hello, I have a feedback too.
Thanks for your program, it's cool.
indigo card
jjsploit.click
alexnt

Post by alexnt »

I'm planning to migrate from ut to qbt on windows and then copy the converted files to another linux machine. Will this work or should I directly copy to linux?
rumanzo
VIP
VIP

Post by rumanzo »

alexnt wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:56 pm I'm planning to migrate from ut to qbt on windows and then copy the converted files to another linux machine. Will this work or should I directly copy to linux?
Hi! You should use bt2qbt for move to Linux, because you will have different paths of yours downloads. If you just copy files there all will be invalid due different paths
alexnt

Post by alexnt »

rumanzo wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:29 pm
alexnt wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:56 pm I'm planning to migrate from ut to qbt on windows and then copy the converted files to another linux machine. Will this work or should I directly copy to linux?
Hi! You should use bt2qbt for move to Linux, because you will have different paths of yours downloads. If you just copy files there all will be invalid due different paths
Yeah, I used the tool to migrate from ut to qbt on windows and then I copied the converted files to qbt on linux and works fine. Thanks!