Choosing network folders for download

Linux specific questions, problems.
sotvomike

Choosing network folders for download

Post by sotvomike »

Hey people!  Quick question.  When using qB in Windows, I have the option of saving the downloads to one of my network drive folders.  When I try the same thing in Ubuntu, the network drives never show up in the Choose A Save Directory option.  All that shows is what is in my laptop (Home, Desktop, File System and the folders within those).  Any idea how I can add them or find them?  I barely have room on my laptop but the drives are about 2+TB so that's a waste of unused space.  Right now I have to download, then transfer over wireless network (which takes forever). 

Thanks for your help! 
loki

Re: Choosing network folders for download

Post by loki »

Sounds possible, you have to be able to mount your network partition, with write permission, then all you (should) have to do is navigate to where you mounted it in the save to directory.
sotvomike

Post by sotvomike »

That sounds great, problem is that I have no idea how to do any of that stuff.  :-\
belgotux

Post by belgotux »

Your network drive is a Samba share ?

If you are on ubuntu or other gnome3 : shortcuts --> connect to server and your can use smb://machine/share

You can use "smbmount" to mount your samba share like a local directory ;)

Belgotux
sotvomike

Post by sotvomike »

Yes, they are on Samba.  The address on one of them is smb://networkdrive/public/  How do I do the shortcut or the smbmount thing?
belgotux

Post by belgotux »

Install the package smbmount with apt-get or other package manager.
Open a shell an use like this for ubuntu : sudo smbmount smb://networkdrive/public/ /media/exemple
- smb://networkdrive/public/ : your network share
- /media/exemple : a empty folder (create it if needed)

You can now use your network share like a local drive :)

For more informations : http://www.delafond.org/traducmanfr/man ... unt.8.html

Belgotux
sotvomike

Post by sotvomike »

Thank you for the help!  I got a little further, now I am unable to get the correct folder in the shell.  The path to my folder is this:

smb://networkdrive/public/Downloads

I entered your command:  sudo smbmount smb://networkdrive/public/ /Downloads  It said could not chdir to /Downloads No such file or directory.

What am I doing wrong?

Could it be that, when I look at the file path, the name isn't Public, it's listed as public on network drive?
loki

Post by loki »

By the command you issued you're mounting it to "/Downloads" which, by the error message, I assume, doesn't exist locally. You'll need: sudo smbmount smb://networkdrive/public/Downloads "local folder"