Web UI access through BTGuard VPN

Other platforms, generic questions.
shmixx

Web UI access through BTGuard VPN

Post by shmixx »

Looking to see if someone can help me sort out an issue I'm having with regard to accessing the Web UI while using a VPN.

I'm currently setup as follows:
- Local Network running with DD-WRT enabled router, using DHCP for local (internal) address assignment
- Windows 7 Laptop running VMware Workstation 8
- Linux VM on the Win7 box, running Ubuntu 11.04
- QBittorrent installed inside the Linux VM
- Script running inside VM to verify that VPN tunnel is connected at all times (re-check every 3 minutes), if not connected, forces re-connect
- Web UI enabled in QBittorrent on port 8080 (also tried 9091 to verify no issue with port, no luck)

I'm not a guru when it comes to networking, but I'm pretty knowledgeable. Normally, I'm still able to ping the machine on the local IP even when the VPN tunnel is open. I can do this locally without issue. But for some reason, I can't open a connection on the port of the Web UI. I'm assuming it's because the Web UI is being exposed to the VPN tunnel interface and not the local interface.

What I need to do is find a way to successfully use my VPN connection to ensure all the torrent traffic is flowing out the VPN tunnel, but the Web UI is still accessible via my local network. The problem at this point is it's a pain to have to open an RDP to the Win7 Laptop, to use the VMware Workstation interface to access the VM. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to the conifguration of my BTGuard VPN connection: https://btguard.com/vpn_openvpn_linux.php. It is using OpenVPN with a cert I download locally to my VM.
shmixx

Re: Web UI access through BTGuard VPN

Post by shmixx »

Bump
pragmaticenigma

Post by pragmaticenigma »

This is an advanced configuration that you may find better help from BTGaurd support.  I also suggest you read up on configuring iptables for Linux.

The simple answer is you need to setup iptable rules to force all Internet traffic to use the VPN connection but allow local network connections to still access the your Linux installation.  I wish that I could elaborate more, but it is outside the scope of this forum and since each person set's up their home network differently, hard to right up a generic setup to copy and paste.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Use Teamviewer. It can go through NAT, because BTGuard won't open up a port for you.
Aaand that's it. Well, it won't be webUI but still better than nothing.
pragmaticenigma

Post by pragmaticenigma »

[quote="shiki"]
Use Teamviewer. It can go through NAT, because BTGuard won't open up a port for you.
Aaand that's it. Well, it won't be webUI but still better than nothing.
[/quote]
Teamviewer is overkill for such a simple issue.  He's already running everything in a virtual machine, if he needed remote access he could simply activate the VM viewer and see a desktop if he so desired.