Not seeding downloaded torrent

Windows specific questions, problems.
jackobyte

Not seeding downloaded torrent

Post by jackobyte »

The torrent downloaded quite fast and satisfactorily but appears not to be uploading back anything. Status is seeding but ton the list to the left where it seems to aggregates torrent counts it appears in the entry of "stalled uploading".
Of course not many peers are shown connected but unlike other torrent clients that display does not show the peers state of completeness of the torrent, although one wouldn't expects seeds to be connecting only leechers but then upload rate is showing 0. In the settings it was infinie but I changed it to 40k to see if it jogged anything to move; it did not.
I want to be a fair player so any idea what could be going on?
I am using a VPN but as the download went so well I do not suspect a fault external to qbitorrent.
tantogata

Re: Not seeding downloaded torrent

Post by tantogata »

I have the same issue. I've created some folders for current download and for downloaded files. When files downloaded they moves to "Downloaded" folder. I think that is why my downloaded files couldn't be seeded they lost a path to the files. When I downloading files seeding is fine. But I'm not sure need a time to check it.
bob393

Post by bob393 »

Hi all, first post here.

I have the same problem too.

Seems to be a great program, fast download, great interface.

However even though the torrents are seeding I have zero uploads and this has never happened to me before.

Any ideas?

Thanks
DisabledWorker2

Post by DisabledWorker2 »

I'm having the same problem. Downloads are fine. Torrents are listed as seeding. Nothing uploads. I get torrents from TorrentDay and I'm not being credited for seeding. I even tried removing the app and reinstalling it to reset any changes to the default settings.
bob393

Post by bob393 »

No one has any ideas on how to handle this?

Reddit thinks it has to do with port forwarding. I have it turned on and that isn't helping.
I guess it could be Windows Defender or router configuration but I'm not sure.

Help, Please
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Well, port forwarding IS router configuration.
See: https://portforward.com

What I usually recommend:
- set up a static DHCP on router
- set up a port by hand on router
- set torrent client to said port

That's 100%.
If that doesn't work, you have to check your security software if you use a third-party firewall software.
OR, you are on a network where you cannot open ports. Because it's a corporate network, you are behind two routers, and so on. Many reasons.

You can always:
- pay for a VPN that has port forwarding (Mullvad, Windscribe)
- pay for a seedserver (super cheap, easy to use/seed with.)
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Post by unseen19 »

The answer of @Peter is the good start. The goal of this last is to enable other peers to access your QBT setup from outside your LAN
To make it straights: in the vast majority a connection initiated from your LAN network to the WAN (Internet) is always permitted, you have no restriction this side. But the WAN cannot access a service inside your network without proper permission.
The UPNP protocal tends to automate it but there are drawbacks: security and some hick up making you unreachable sometime. Better to disable it in my opinion ans spend a couple of minute to make it manually

The download will always be fine even with no possible WAN to LAN access. The upload not. The tracker shares the torrent pieces you have and the address to reach you cause again the tracker updates are sent by your client from LAN to WAN. But when I get this info I'm not able to connect you if (and to rephrase):
- Your router hasn't a port forwarding rule telling it that for each request on port XXX you can sent it to the internal IP (mostly 192.168.x.x) on the same/another port
- To create this rule you need a fixed IP for the machine running QBT, otherwise the rule will not be valid when IP change.
- You machine hosting Qbittorrent should have the port configured opened in its firewall in the incoming part (Windows firewall, iptable, etc.)

You can always check your reachability with dedicated site (Favourite search engine query: "check open ports").

With the VPN it's a bit the same: for P2P you need to have a VPN provider supporting the port forwarding (often denied) and you need to connect to a VPN location of this provider supporting this feature (for what I've seen the documentation or server name will help)
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Probably all VPN users.. Its just harder to configure everything correctly so you're 100% reachable as a peer. Port issues are the most common.
Freonpsandoz

Post by Freonpsandoz »

I have two computers. Both are configured the same, as nearly as I can see, using manual port forwarding (but different ports) and the same VPN with the same OpenVPN UDP protocol. One seeds consistently; the other doesn't seem to seed at all. The qBittorrent log on the problem computer says it is successfully listening. If I pick a torrent on the working computer that has zero other seeds and several peers and stop it, then enable it on the problem computer, I see peers waiting, but they never connect. I think qBittorrent (probably the BitTorrent library) just has some algorithm that refuses to consider certain computers worthy of connecting to for uploading.