mazzinia

About the newly released 4.3.9

Post by mazzinia »

Is being blocked by windows defender

pua:win32/qbittorrent!torrent is the provided motivation
lezerogan

Re: About the newly released 4.3.9

Post by lezerogan »

I am surprised that no one response or care about this issue.
Does nobody troubled about the blocking?
flashfs

Post by flashfs »

Same happening here...
Luftmensch

Post by Luftmensch »

I have the same problem. Windows Defender is blocking this as a virus, and will not allow me to update.
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Post by unseen19 »

PUP feature block many torrent client since a couple of months now.
Add the program to the safe list/authorized list

This is mostly true for Windows Defender but some other AV are impacted too.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

See picture.

flashfs

Post by flashfs »

unseen19 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:41 am PUP feature block many torrent client since a couple of months now.
Add the program to the safe list/authorized list

This is mostly true for Windows Defender but some other AV are impacted too.
Don't know if this is the problem. Prior version was working properly. Only when downloading 4.3.9 this happened.
Zoloft

Post by Zoloft »

Did you download it from here? It's a false positive. Did you download it elsewhere? well, why would you do that? If you can't accept that, find a different client.
Neb

Post by Neb »

I don't care what the forum mods here say.
The qbittorrent team allowed someone in the team to add malware to the newest version.

I allowed the installer despite Windows Defender complaining.
Now I'm getting HBOMax adverts in my Chrome browser, bypassing my adblocker extensions.
This is absolutely related to the the qbittorrent update I just did.

Now I have to scan my system to try to get rid of the malware, and choose another torrent program.

I hope they find whoever did this and give them a good damn beating. What an asshole.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Neb wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:43 pm...
;D ;D ;D

Thanks for the laugh!

Update:
Btw a few things.
- Use uBlock Origin. You cannot trust other adblockers. AdGuard is an option, they do good work, their DNS is godsend, but uBlock Origin does the same in a PC browser.
- Some browsers can block more than others. Ie.: Google has been actively working to kill adblockers for years now. Vivaldi for example promised that they will keep the functions required for adblockers in the browser (and they implemented their own native thing). Firefox has proper adblock capability as far as I know. But I don't use Firefox anymore (since they started pushing Pocket and such, yuck.)
- uBlock and extensions only block inside your browser. If you want system-wide Adblock, use an Adblock DNS. ( see https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html )
- Adblockers operate on so-called filter lists. These lists have to be fresh! Of course, uBlock Origin periodically updates them, but it does not check for updates every millisecond. Ad companies/agencies keep changing the URLs, the ad links and whatnot, so these lists that are made by volunteers have to be hand-updated each time. And then uBlock sees the update and then it's applied. Point is, you actually have to go into your uBlock settings, check what filters you are using AND sometimes you even have to issue a manual update in case it's not updated yet, but some annoying ad is now popping up.

tl;dr: It's a PEBKAC issue, not qBittorrent.