Mac won't open qBittorrent because source not verified

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
jcabois

Mac won't open qBittorrent because source not verified

Post by jcabois »

Hi all, I was recommended this app on every post about torrenting on reddit but I can't get it to run on my computer. I'm on Catalina and trying to download v4.3.9. Every time I download and install it, Mac comes up with a little message saying it can't open it because the source is not verified. There is no override option provided and I can't change any security settings to override it either (the only options are 1) allow downloads from the app store and 2) allow downloads from the app store and identified developers and I'm already on 2). I saw some people on reddit also had this problem but couldn't find anyone who'd solved the problem. Does anyone here know of a solution?

(Don't know if this changes anything but I'm also using a VPN while downloading.)
PokestarFan

Re: Mac won't open qBittorrent because source not verified

Post by PokestarFan »

I have the same problem. You run into this when running open-source software that has been compiled. What you need to do is bypass Gatekeeper.
  1. Go to the folder in which the qBittorrent App is located. This is most likely /Applications.
  2. Right-Click the qBittorrent App.
  3. Click the Open option on the menu.
This time, the prompt should have an OK button.

Anytime MacOS blocks you from opening something, it can always be bypassed by using the "Open" from the right click menu.
MajesticSnd

Post by MajesticSnd »

I'm using Ventura 13.6.1 and right click the dmg does not open it so I can install. Any suggestions ??
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

MajesticSnd wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:29 pm I'm using Ventura 13.6.1 and right click the dmg does not open it so I can install. Any suggestions ??
Sorry to hear that.
Could you try this?

viewtopic.php?t=4822
thomspengler

Post by thomspengler »

Hold the Control-Key down when you click the mouse seems to do the trick as well
nonerhyme

Post by nonerhyme »

Getting the warning doesn't necessarily mean the app is harmful or you can't open apps from unidentified developers on Mac. If you're certain the app is from a reliable source, you just need to bypass Gatekeeper or disable it entirely to launch the app.