Seeding a torrent kills my internet connection

Windows specific questions, problems.
catraxor

Seeding a torrent kills my internet connection

Post by catraxor »

Hi. When the client is actively seeding and uploading a torrent, my entire internet connection comes to a halt. It's like the client throttles the whole connection. The weird thing is this doesn't happen when I'm downloading, but when the client is actively seeding a torrent, the whole internet connection just dies. It doesn't let me load even a simple text-based webpage. The second I stop the upload, the connection comes back to life and all the pages suddenly start to load up. How can I solve this? Thank you in advance.

My connection settings:

All these numbers actually used to be higher. I lowered them thinking it would help but nothing changed.

Client version is 4.2.0
OS is Windows 10-64
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Seeding a torrent kills my internet connection

Post by Nemo »

You're probably using your whole uploadspeed which is causing the slowdowns.

What is your max uploadspeed? Try to set a limit and see if it helps.
PriitUring

Post by PriitUring »

Are you using 4G/LTE Mobile internet?

If you are, then even if limiting upload speed, maximum active connections and torrent queuing doesn't help either, then your network provider is not doing prioritization properly. Or your router, network switch or ethernet card is just not good.

My previous network provider didn't allow other kind of network traffic to be more important, that P2P programs consumed all of my bandwidth and used maximum active connections. I even tried cFospeed and various limits, changed my provider and no issues, even if Speedtest website showing same or lower maximum speeds, I can still atleast use qBit and surf websites without modifying latest default Windows and qBitorrent settings.
viewtopic.php?t=9476
catraxor

Post by catraxor »

@Nemo, I've capped the global upload speed. I'll see if it helps.

@PriitUring, I'm not on a mobile connection. In the thread you linked someone recommended switching to the uTP protocol. I'll try that and see if it helps.

Thank you both.
PriitUring

Post by PriitUring »

If you disable TCP completely or have UDP/uTP set as more important than TCP then:
1. You're not gonna find a lot of seeds and peers who have it disabled, use very old program where it's unavailable or just are using default settings to allow both connections (prefer TCP to be more important).
2. Both download and upload speed will be a lot slower.

You should use default settings and not modify carelessly, you had raised maximum upload connections to 40, default is 20, which means there's a chance to have 10 to 40 active torrents uploading at the same time, because default recommended upload slots is 4 per 1 torrent. If you have slow upload speed then you might get your upload bandwidth maxed out more often this way if you allow keeping too many active upload connections.

Consider limiting maximum upload speed, it was recommended before in the very first comment to your post, at least try if it helps or not before modifying any normal or advanced settings. You can use Speedtest website to know theoretical maximum upload speed or just observe what's maximum upload speed in your qBitorrent and limit it a littlebit.

You can also try if changing in advanced settings: prefer TCP to be peer proportional (throttles TCP) helps, but download and upload speed will be a lot slower in most cases, but maybe for you it might work better than completely disabling TCP or limiting maximum default connections and upload speed. Some routers, modems and computer network cards are slow, faulty or just work a lot better with TCP.

You should also try using latest version of qBitorrent, a lot of fixes and performance improvements since 4.2.0, I doubt it will reset old version settings, so delete preferences/settings file if wish to try and use latest recommended defaults or just to look and compare the differences, but make a backup of old one beforehand.
Jessiebull

Post by Jessiebull »

catraxor wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:32 pm Hi. When the client is actively seeding and uploading a torrent, my entire internet connection comes to a halt. It's like the client throttles the whole connection. The weird thing is this doesn't happen when I'm downloading, but when the client is actively seeding a torrent, the whole internet connection just dies. It doesn't let me load even a simple text-based webpage. The second I stop the uploading of nulls brawl, the connection comes back to life and all the pages suddenly start to load up. How can I solve this? Thank you in advance.

My connection settings:

All these numbers actually used to be higher. I lowered them thinking it would help but nothing changed.

Client version is 4.2.0
OS is Windows 10-64
Hey catraxor, It happened with me as well recently, and the best solution is to use the default settings. It will fix the solution.
DavidNamdvili

Post by DavidNamdvili »

Turn off "Anti-Hacking Protection" in your router.
kamreiclandreno

Post by kamreiclandreno »

catraxor wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:32 pm Hi. When the client is actively seeding and uploading a torrent, my entire internet connection comes to a halt. It's like the client throttles the whole connection. The weird thing is this doesn't happen when I'm downloading, but when the client is actively seeding a torrent, the whole internet connection just dies. It doesn't let me load even a simple text-based webpage. The second I stop the upload, the connection comes back to life and all the pages suddenly start to load up. How can I solve this? Thank you in advance.

My connection settings:

Client version is 4.2.0
OS is Windows 10-64
Hello. When the client is actively seeding a torrent, my entire internet connection grinds to a halt. It's as if the client throttles the entire connection. Strangely, this doesn't occur during downloads, only during seeding. It prevents even simple text-based webpage loading. Once I halt the upload of Talkie Soulful AI, the connection recovers. Any solutions? Appreciate your help.