strange upload speed distribution

Linux specific questions, problems.
adorno

strange upload speed distribution

Post by adorno »

Hi,

i am using qb on a ubuntu server with 1Gbps up and down. So about 100 MB/s upload should be possible. Strangely, I never achieve more than about 5 MB/s with a single upload peer. So if I distribute to 10 peers at the same time, the best case is about 50 MB/s, but not higher.

Is there a limit to the upload speed per slot? The settings are mostly set to unlimited.

Thanks
Switeck

Re: strange upload speed distribution

Post by Switeck »

TCP connections may be faster than uTP connections (to peers and seeds)...but if you have a few peers to upload to, 5 MB/sec each should be enough.

Try disabling "Apply rate limit to uTP protocol" and "Apply limit to transport overhead" and "Apply rate limit to peers on LAN" under Options, Speed.
And also make sure uTP-TCP mixed-mode algorithm is set to "Prefer TCP" under Options, Advanced.

You could try forcing qBitTorrent to disable uTP and use TCP only under Options, Connection (at top of that)...but MOST peers and seeds expect and prefer uTP, so that will likely decrease your upload speeds further except on very busy torrents.
rafi

Re: strange upload speed distribution

Post by rafi »

adorno wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:10 pm Strangely, I never achieve more than about 5 MB/s with a single upload peer.
Two clients that I am using, will never top 8-12MB/s per peer too. It feels like the need to distribute speed/bandwidth between multiple peers, it buggy, in a way that the algorithm does not "guess"/handle well per-peer speed, since it is not "well informed" of your maximum possible upload connection speed. This number should have been divided between active peers.

Since this is an unknown, I'd expect that the client will, at least, take the upload limit you've set as the estimated max upload speed number for the calculated per-per upload speed. Or, better yet, have a setting to input the connection max speeds.