Ubuntu 21.10 - fresh install gives me version 4.2.5 not 4.4.0

Linux specific questions, problems.
drfresh

Ubuntu 21.10 - fresh install gives me version 4.2.5 not 4.4.0

Post by drfresh »

Sorry if this question have been answered befor, but I couldn't find it.

Simply: I followed this tutorial https://www.tipsonunix.com/2022/01/inst ... nt-fedora/ to install qbittorrent on my Linux box running Ubuntu 21.10.

Now it installs version 4.2.5 not the 4.4.0 as should be the latest, stable version according to the web page.

How do I get the latest version?

Thanks.
kino13

Re: Ubuntu 21.10 - fresh install gives me version 4.2.5 not 4.4.0

Post by kino13 »

Hello,

I am here for the same reason, I think that the PPA stable of qbittorrent is not working.

You can use the unstable to 4.5, but that versions has huge problems of its own.

Also, I would like to add that the .appimage version in the web is the one with the horrible, horrible, horrible menu system. I have no idea why the changes have not been applied to that.
kino13

Post by kino13 »

Checking the contents of the Stable PPA this is what I got:
Package: libtorrent-rasterbar10
Package: libtorrent-rasterbar20
Package: libtorrent-rasterbar-dbg
Package: libtorrent-rasterbar-dev
Package: libtorrent-rasterbar-doc
Package: python3-libtorrent
Package: python3-libtorrent-dbg

There is no qbittorrent package, so obviously the package manager reverts to the one in the distro.

Who can fix this? who manages the PPA's?
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Post by unseen19 »

Beside the PPA needs to be fixed, with Ubuntu 21.10:

- You can use the 4.3.9 from Hirsute on the stable PPA, what I have now. The version for 21.10 is not present (??)
- You can use the 4.4.0 version on the unstable PPA.
- the Appimage of course but no ARM64 version I need
kino13

Post by kino13 »

unseen19 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:07 am Beside the PPA needs to be fixed, with Ubuntu 21.10:

- You can use the 4.3.9 from Hirsute on the stable PPA, what I have now. The version for 21.10 is not present (??)
I don't understand anything you say said...

The Stable PPA does not seem to currently contain a qbittorrent package, so no, you can't install the 4.3.9
The unstable PPA gives you an Alpha 4.5.0 that is completely broken (it does not load some torrents among other strange behavior)
The Appimage... works, but apparently a guy named thalient from the devs decided that thousands of users don't know how to use categories and fucked up the menus for everyone.

Edit: on a positive note, the menus in 4.5.0A are back to normal. Still, the app does not work for shit, I imagine is from all the bugs that crawled from the 4.4.0. It really looks like a mess.
kino13

Post by kino13 »

Ok, as an alternate solution:

This is the version from a week ago, that at least for me, has been working correctly.

https://launchpad.net/~qbittorrent-team ... d/23115170

I have installed it, and I will probably freeze the version (for 3 or 4 years) until the dev team gets their shit together.
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Post by unseen19 »

kino13 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:50 am
unseen19 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:07 am Beside the PPA needs to be fixed, with Ubuntu 21.10:

I don't understand anything you say said...

The Stable PPA does not seem to currently contain a qbittorrent package, so no, you can't install the 4.3.9
The unstable PPA gives you an Alpha 4.5.0 that is completely broken (it does not load some torrents among other strange behavior)
The Appimage... works, but apparently a guy named thalient from the devs decided that thousands of users don't know how to use categories and fucked up the menus for everyone.

Edit: on a positive note, the menus in 4.5.0A are back to normal. Still, the app does not work for shit, I imagine is from all the bugs that crawled from the 4.4.0. It really looks like a mess.
Let me be more explicit:
When you configure a PPA, the address referenced in your apt source will matches automagically the OS version you have but other packages are available too. if you added the stable PPA Impish has been selected but no version is there so you only have the Ubuntu repository version available.
You can change the apt source referenced OS version, directly download packages from the PPA, or switch to the unstable branch which will present you the QBT 4.4.0 update.

I currently use the 21.04 version on an Ubuntu 21.10. When going on https://launchpad.net/~qbittorrent-team ... ent-stable
you can retrieve the package you need, example with the amd64 version of QBT 4.3.9 https://launchpad.net/~qbittorrent-team ... _amd64.deb

On the other hand you can switch to the unstable PPA which has the 4.4.0 for Ubuntu 21.10, but I do not see the version 4.5.0 you mentioned:
PPA unstable: https://launchpad.net/~qbittorrent-team ... t-unstable
When checking the package for Ubuntu 21.10 (aka Impish) QBT 4.4.0 is available:
libtorrent-rasterbar 2.0.5+git20220106.d0f7a09adb-2ppa1~21.10
qbittorrent 4.4.0~202202092117-7529-4a7f1116a~ubuntu21.10.1

I hope this is a temporary situation, you should not deal with what's above. But in th meanwhile it can help
drfresh

Post by drfresh »

I hope this is a temporary situation, you should not deal with what's above. But in th meanwhile it can help
OK, I'm the one who posted the original question, and I'm certainly no Linux expert... and I don't see that any of yourt replies have helped me in any way. What I seem to get out of it all is, that it's not my mistake, and according to the quote I'll just have to wait and see.

So curious: how will I know if the newest version is available? Will it get installed during "normal" software update once installed?
kino13

Post by kino13 »

[/quote]
Let me be more explicit:
When you configure a PPA, the address referenced in your apt source will matches automagically the OS version you have but other packages are available too. if you added the stable PPA Impish has been selected but no version is there so you only have the Ubuntu repository version available.
You can change the apt source referenced OS version, directly download packages from the PPA, or switch to the unstable branch which will present you the QBT 4.4.0 update.

I currently use the 21.04 version on an Ubuntu 21.10. When going on https://launchpad.net/~qbittorrent-team ... ent-stable
you can retrieve the package you need, example with the amd64 version of QBT 4.3.9 https://launchpad.net/~qbittorrent-team ... _amd64.deb

On the other hand you can switch to the unstable PPA which has the 4.4.0 for Ubuntu 21.10, but I do not see the version 4.5.0 you mentioned:
PPA unstable: https://launchpad.net/~qbittorrent-team ... t-unstable
When checking the package for Ubuntu 21.10 (aka Impish) QBT 4.4.0 is available:
libtorrent-rasterbar 2.0.5+git20220106.d0f7a09adb-2ppa1~21.10
qbittorrent 4.4.0~202202092117-7529-4a7f1116a~ubuntu21.10.1

[/quote]

You still don't get it.

At the time this post was first made, there was no qbittorrent package in the stable PPA. So when you set it up, you could only get the one from the distro. This is what happened to the person starting this conversation, and several others as you can see in the bug tracking from github.

It think that the package is back there. I am guessing they fucked up and removed it for a few days.

As for the V4.5.0alpha1 is the one you can find in the unstable PPA, it is named the same as the others 4.4.0whatever, but when you actually install it, the version that appears in the window title is qBittorrent v4.5.0alpha1.

They pushed the unstable to 4.5 but they forgot to put the 4.4 in the stable. That's what it seems that happened. So again, for some days there was no 4.4. version. Of course if you had already installed from before, you would not notice that the package was gone.

I am finished with this conversation. It is clear that the dev team management is... less than optimal. I am not going to update qbittorrent automatically ever again, and I would like to say be wary of the unstable versions, but after the mess with the 4.4.0 you are not safe with the stable either.
drfresh

Post by drfresh »

but I do not see the version 4.5.0 you mentioned
Well I never mentioned a version 4.5.0...

But anyway now a normal "Software Update" has updated QT to 4.4.1 :) So it has probably been a mess up earlier... Thanks.