How to seed the most possible?

Other platforms, generic questions.
Junkraj1802

How to seed the most possible?

Post by Junkraj1802 »

Hi all, new to the forum so I am not sure if this the correct category/right place but to get to the question directly;

I am on the LAN of my Uni accom and it gives me 200Mb/s Up and down, and I've recently been torrenting a fair bit and I have some torrents that I've now been seeding for a bit. While I am not new per se when it comes to torrenting, I know less than I'd like to when it comes to maximising how much I can seed.

While I understand that unless people out there want to download what I am seeding (and they would need to relevant download speed to do so), I cannot increase my uploads, I have a few relatively popular files that I would assume a lot of people are downloading as there are a few hundred/thousand peers for each file. Yet, I only max out at 1.8MiB/s on this one file, and around 3MiB/s total for all of my files, not even close to the theoretical 25 MiB/s up speeds that I see. Is there any way for me to increase the amount I seed, with regards to the settings of qBittorrent, am I missing something?

For context, I did fiddle around with the Global Maximum number of connections and upload slots, and the maximum slots per torrent I raised them all to the maximum possible as far as i could; its 2000, 2000, 2000 and 500 in that order, but even after unchecking the box next to them my upload speeds did not get affected in any way so I have to assume they don't really do anything in that regard. I am just a simple student, trying to seed more for the files that I do have so any help with regards to this would be appreciated, any settings I can fiddle with to make it so I can seed more? I've already reached a share ratio of 4.34 (all time up is 1.9 TiB), but I think I can do better
NaranKPatel

Re: How to seed the most possible?

Post by NaranKPatel »

Have you checked if incoming connections are being blocked? Peers won't be able to connect if your f/w on network or your system is blocking them.

Try using this tool from computer connected to ip address that has qBittorrent running, it should say the port is "Open". Basically its connecting to your ip address and port where qBittorrent us running.
e.g. https://www.grc.com/x/portprobe=12345 - where "12345" is port that qBittorrent is using.

If its not open, i.e. closed or stealth, then your firewall is blocking it.
1) check firewall rules are in place to allow traffic to pass through, I would check that both udp and tcp traffic is allowed through, although qBittorrent mostly uses udp.
2) If you using plug'n'play in your firewall, check pnp nat rule exists and is forwarding connections to system running qBittorrent
3) if using vpn service (for privacy, security), check the same for its external ip address for VPN connect, otherwise it'll pretty much work the same