Has qBittorent been able to download single files completely from torrent?

Windows specific questions, problems.
ollie2012

Has qBittorent been able to download single files completely from torrent?

Post by ollie2012 »

Has qBittorent been able to download single files completely from single torrent?

hello, i am curious about this issue....

when you have multiple files in a single torrent, and you choose to download ONLY some files, utorrent stores the "cross file pieces" in cache and wont complete the actual single files

SO when you move the files elsewhere and and try to recheck, the files are not actually completely downloaded.

Hence you see missing pieces....

I know this is for file integrity but most clients now do a force recheck anyways.

Has qBittorent been able to download single files completely?

NB. I have asked this on utorrent forums and they tell me "NOT to skip files"....Can qBittorent found a way to download ONLY the individual files you want from a SINGLE torrent?
Last edited by ollie2012 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zeomal

Re: Has qBittorent been able to download single files completely from torrent?

Post by zeomal »

The files that you leave unchecked are stored in the .unwanted folder. So, in effect, mostly no.
qBittorrent often downloads (pieces of) other files included in the torrent as well.
ollie2012

Post by ollie2012 »

thanks for the reply

downloading pieces of other files isnt the problem,

i need the client to completely download the desired files, rather than forcing me to download a 200gb collection of files LOL, when i only need 1 or 2 files
loki

Post by loki »

In short, you can pick and choose what files you want from a large torrent. But if you're talking about a 200gb torrent and you want to (for example) not download all the txt files it will likely have to anyway because of the way piece size works, especially so for large torrents. The piece size is going to be bigger than the txt file so it will (basically) have to download it in entirety to get to the file you actually wanted.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

have to download it in entirety to get to the file you actually wanted.
Nope, only the pieces that contain parts or all of the required items will be downloaded AND the ONLY time that there will be more payload downloaded than absolutely necessary is if the torrent has been created using the "preserve file order" flag. The protocol default is to sort the files by descending size order, so the biggest files are first in the payload, this 'optimises' the "cross file piece" creation to the minimum, so the smaller files are NOT going to be in several disparate pieces across the payload. In the 'largest first' sorting algorithm, at worst case there will be only ONE piece that has parts of more than one file, and if ALL the smaller files fit into a single piece, exactly or smaller than, there will be ZERO 'unwanted' download.