QBittorrent & VPN Deal

Other platforms, generic questions.
freyacartinsmith

QBittorrent & VPN Deal

Post by freyacartinsmith »

I'm looking to set up qBittorrent for safe and private downloads. However, I've heard using a VPN is crucial. Can anyone recommend a good VPN deal that works well with qBittorrent?
rdalek

Re: QBittorrent & VPN Deal

Post by rdalek »

I use Surfshark. I'm a Linux user and their app doesn't install on my OS so I use OpenVPN to manage Surfshark. I'm sure if you use Windows or a distro of Linux they support, it is easier. Still it works well. I think you can get either one year or two year deals. I have fiber internet and the VPN keeps up pretty good speed wise.

One thing, if you can't use their software and the killswitch feature, set QB to only use the network device that is created for the VPN, tun0 in my case. That way if the VPN goes down, QB stops traffic as it loses its connection to the internet, as far as it can see anyway.

Reminds me. I need to renew mine pretty soon. I went with the two year deal.

To be honest tho, except for those cheap or free VPN providers, they all about the same. Just get one that is popular and maybe has some feature that you want that others may not. A Google search for 'best VPN 2024' will likely give you some comparisons. That way you can weigh one against the other, feature wise.
bob2306

Post by bob2306 »

rdalek wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:10 am One thing, if you can't use their software and the killswitch feature, set QB to only use the network device that is created for the VPN, tun0 in my case. That way if the VPN goes down, QB stops traffic as it loses its connection to the internet, as far as it can see anyway.
I'm paranoid enough than I also block all internet traffic through the Ethernet device to doesn't need to go through it.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

freyacartinsmith wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:41 pm I'm looking to set up qBittorrent for safe and private downloads. However, I've heard using a VPN is crucial. Can anyone recommend a good VPN deal that works well with qBittorrent?
- Make sure it has port forward capability. You can ask their support, or find that out on their website.
- Windscribe works fine but they are not cheap.
- Private Internet Access is way cheaper, but they have been purchased a few years ago and been getting shadier and shadier. Maybe they are still good, I don't know.
bob2306

Post by bob2306 »

Peter wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:42 pm - Make sure it has port forward capability. You can ask their support, or find that out on their website.
Or try it without - port-forwarding is much less important than it used to be.

What I would advise is a shared IP address (which is actually a feature of cheap VPNs). Without this it's possible that other internet activity through the VPN might leak information about your identity. If the IP address is shared that leakage is unlikely to stand-up in court.