qbittorrent re-downloads already existing files

Windows specific questions, problems.
mecmecmec

qbittorrent re-downloads already existing files

Post by mecmecmec »

I really tried to like this program and wanted to switch to it from utorrent, but qbittorrent has a terribly annoying and fundamental problem.
every other time when I launch qbittorrent, most of my torrents that were downloaded 100% go to 0% and it re-checks some and starts re-downloading some. while the files are already in my external USB drive and totally accessible. and I found out it corrupted most of my files...

I always connect the USB drive first, make sure it is active, then open the torrent client. never once had this problem in utorrent, but with qbittorrent it keeps happening.

sadly I can't support this open source program and have to go back to utorrent because apparently qbittorrent is not ready for show time. 

You should be fair to your users and label this program as ALPHA, or BETA at best.
ciaobaby

Re: qbittorrent re-downloads already existing files

Post by ciaobaby »

The answer is fairly simple,.....

Allow qBT to close fully BEFORE turning the machine off.

Just like ALL BitTorrent clients, qBT cannot shutdown instantly. It needs to close active processes WITHOUT damaging the integrity of the payload data.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

[quote="mecmecmec"]
I really tried to like this program and wanted to switch to it from utorrent, but qbittorrent has a terribly annoying and fundamental problem.
every other time when I launch qbittorrent, most of my torrents that were downloaded 100% go to 0% and it re-checks some and starts re-downloading some. while the files are already in my external USB drive and totally accessible. and I found out it corrupted most of my files...

I always connect the USB drive first, make sure it is active, then open the torrent client. never once had this problem in utorrent, but with qbittorrent it keeps happening.

sadly I can't support this open source program and have to go back to utorrent because apparently qbittorrent is not ready for show time. 

You should be fair to your users and label this program as ALPHA, or BETA at best.
[/quote]

What version of qbt were you using? Are you willing to help troubleshoot or I shouldn't bother helping you?
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Someone who thinks to call qBittorrent as beta or alpha (well we got one if he wants it that bad) after having personal issues doesn't really need help in my opinion. He made his choice already on what to use and I don't care personally.
Last edited by Nemo on Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mecmecmec

Post by mecmecmec »

I always close all programs before shutdown. so that first advice is irrelevant.

and obviously I care a little that's why I bothered to post in here.  Was using v3.1.8, how can I help fix this issue?
Last edited by mecmecmec on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

From my understanding you are now using utorrent, so I am not worrying of fucking up your torrents.
Can you do this simple test:
1. Install v3.1.9
2. Download a single torrent to your main disk (C:\ ) and let it finish
3. Exit qbt and make sure that the process has ended (task manager doesn't show it)
4. Go to the equivalent of C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\qBittorrent and copy qbittorrent.ini somewhere else.
5. Go to the equivalent of C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\qBittorrent\BT_backup and copy the <info_hash>.fastresume file (the info hash should match the torrent you downloaded).
6. Start qbt. If it still shows the problem, zip the files you copied at step 4 and 5 and attach them here. (or email them at sledgehammer999 at qbittorrent dot org)
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Also if step 6 fails copy and zip the log too (view->execution log)