Hundreds IO errors then pause

Windows specific questions, problems.
gwarser

Hundreds IO errors then pause

Post by gwarser »

On Win 7 x64 qBt 3.1.9.2 multigigabyte torrent with hundreds of files. Execution log shows hundreds of lines like this (pointing to one file):

Code: Select all

21/06/2014 22:24:33 - Reason: xxx file (D:/temp/xxx.avi) error: Wskazuje, ?e kontynuowanie operacji nie jest mo?liwe bez zablokowania jej dla We/Wy
21/06/2014 22:24:33 - An I/O error occurred, 'xxx' paused.
GTranslate: "Indicates that the continuing operation is not possible without blocking it for I / O"

After resume, it happens again after couple of seconds. After recheck, it works for one day, and then happens again with another file.
Last edited by gwarser on Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Re: Hundreds IO errors then pause

Post by ciaobaby »

Several things to try:

1: Check the permissions to the locations (and the parent locations) that qBT is saving the payload to.

2: Run "chkdsk D: /r /f" on the drive. pause all jobs and shut qBT down first and recheck the payload on restarting the client.

3: defragment the drive to consolidate the used and free space on the drive also with qBT shut down.

4: if your drive manufacturer has any S.M.A.R.T. tools for Windows, use them to get a full report on the drive status. (be prepared to replace it)
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Are those media files? If yes, do you run an indexing program at the background? Or eg foobar2000 which continuously scans the library folders you have set for new files and tries to read the metadata from them in order to update the database.

Also known problem without a real solution because we don't know what causes it: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/294
gwarser

Post by gwarser »

Drive is new, 200GB free space on partition, I already run chkdsk in readonly mode - show nothing (I try /r later), S.M.A.R.T shows nothing, I try to defragment now. Permissions should not be a problem - I always download into this location.

These are avi files. My audio library is located in another folder. "d:\temp\" should not be indexed by system (or any other program). Avast may check something (but why avi?). I watched another movie from another folder when this happened.
gwarser

Post by gwarser »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]...
Also known problem without a real solution because we don't know what causes it: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/294
[/quote]
This is it :(
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="gwarser"]These are avi files. My audio library is located in another folder. "d:\temp" should not be indexed by system (or any other program). Avast may check something (but why avi?). I watched another movie from another folder when this happened.
[/quote]

Are you sure that Windows itself doesn't try to index them to create the preview for the file manager?
Try enabling the .!qB file extension for incomplete files in the settings(and make sure that qbt renames those files). This should keep any indexing programs away.
gwarser

Post by gwarser »

sledgehammer_999 wrote: Are you sure that Windows itself doesn't try to index them to create the preview for the file manager?
Thumbnails are created in background? I was pretty sure files are scanned when folder is opened.
I checked again in control panel, and "d:\temp" IS indexed by Windows Search. I probably set this long ago. I try deselecting next time.
Try enabling the .!qB file extension for incomplete files in the settings(and make sure that qbt renames those files). This should keep any indexing programs away.
I first check whether defragmentation helped. All is good for now.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Thumbnails are created in background?
Yep,  and they are stored in a cache file called "Thumbs.db" so they don't have to be generated each time a folder is opened.

It is also that which cause the annoying "Cannot delete folder, some files are open blah, blah"

It should read "Explorer itself has a file open and is too dumb to realise why it can't delete the folder"
gwarser

Post by gwarser »

I know about thumbs.db and this new thumbnail database in Vista+, but they are not created when computer is in idle state. Explorer window must be opened to start generating thumbnails.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Initially yes, provided  "Thumbnail" view is activated, but once they have been created, or if the folder is set as containing "images" or "videos" they will be updated as a background task.
gwarser

Post by gwarser »

Problem started again. Disabling Windows Search indexing didn't help. I tried recording log in the Process Monitor http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... s/bb896645 Only qBt touches this file. I see one `CANT WAIT` and two `BUFFER OVERFLOW Control: FSCTL_QUERY_ALLOCATED_RANGES` events. sledgehammer_999, if you want I can send you full log.
----
PM send
----
Shortened csv http://pastebin.com/DU8a2zU9
Last edited by gwarser on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Can you post it somewhere online? I will probably forward it to arvid (libtorrent author)...